Curry is an amazing dish that can be made in numerous creative ways, each accenting various different flavors and spices. This spiced coconut milk curry is great served with fried tofu and rice, or atop your favorite stir fried veggies.
Servings: Approximately 4-6 People
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 4 Juniper Berries
- 2 Star Anise Pods
- 1 Stick of Cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp. of Cumin Seeds
- 3 Tbsp. of Coriander Seeds
- 2 Tbsp. of Turmeric
- 2 Bushels of Basil, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Ground Nutmeg
- 1 tsp. Black Peppercorns
- 2 Whole Cloves
- 1 Tbsp. Chili Powder
- 4 -5 Large Tomatoes, quartered
- 1 Thumb Sized Piece of Ginger, peeled
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Cans Unsweetened Coconut Milk (13.5 oz)
- 2 Tbsp. Vegan Butter
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, chopped
For the spice blend:
- In a pan that can fit all the spices, toast over medium heat, moving constantly (do not let them burn).
- They will become very aromatic; it can take sometimes up to 15 minutes.
- Once toasted, use a spice grinder or mortar and pestle to grind spices, making sure there are no whole chunks.
For the curry:
- In a large pot, add vegan butter and melt over medium-high heat.
- Once butter melts add ginger and let cook down for 2 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is translucent and aromatic.
- Increase heat to high; add tomatoes, coconut milk, turmeric, chili powder and premade spice blend.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Cover with lid, then reduce to medium heat and allow to cook down for 15 minutes.
- Pour curry into a blender (be careful, it’s okay to do in batches) and blend until smooth.
- Return curry to the pot and stir in fresh chopped basil (reserve some for garnish!)
- Can be served with fried tofu and rice (as shown)