Air Fryer Crispy Green Tomatoes
Crispy, crunchy, and perfect to pair with so many dishes – these fried green tomatoes are so easy and quick.
If you don’t have green tomatoes, firmer tomatoes that are more ripe can work as well.
This recipe is oil-free and features a subtle blend of spices that really bring this dish to life.
They are great served as a side dish, appetizer, light lunch, or a snack and can go well with many different dipping sauces.
If you don’t have an air fryer, you can also bake these in the oven or pan fry with a little olive oil (for a non-oil-free version). However, we love a good air fryer so we’d recommend investing in one!
???? Servings: 16 Slices
???? Prep Time: 20 Minutes
???? Cook Time: 35 Minutes
⏲ Total Time: 55 Minutes
- 3 large green tomatoes
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. thyme
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 dash of ground cayenne pepper
- 6 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened oat milk (or any plant-based milk)
- Set the air fryer to 375°F and preheat.
- Remove the tomato cores.
- Cut each tomato into slices, about ½ inch thick.
- Put the flour in a wide bowl.
- Pour the non-dairy milk in another bowl.
- In another bowl mix panko, paprika, garlic powder, thyme, onion
powder, sea salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper and line them up to dip and prep the tomatoes.
- Dip each tomato slice in the three mixtures in this order:
- Plant milk
- Mixture with panko and spices
- Place the coated slices on the air fryer trays. Depending on the size of your air fryer you may need to do these in batches.
- Air fry until the slices are crisp and begin to brown (approximately 6-8 minutes)