Citrus Marinated Watermelon Gazpacho
Gazpacho is a classic Spanish dish. This cold soup is so refreshing on hot summer days, but can easily be made year-round. With chunks of marinated watermelon, cucumber, and onion, this gazpacho recipe is sure to hit the spot!
Serves approximately 4 people
- 1 Large Tomato, pureed
- 2 Cups Watermelon, seeded and cubed
- 3/4 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 Red Onion, peeled and minced (dice a small amount to use as garnish)
- 1/2 Cucumber, seeded and minced (peel and dice 1/4 of the same cucumber to use as garnish)
- 4 Leaves of Basil, minced
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Orange, juiced
- 1 Lime, juiced
- 1 tsp. Sugar
- 1 tsp. Ground Cayenne Pepper
- In a large bowl, mix orange juice, lime juice, and a pinch of sugar.
- Place cubed watermelon in bowl with juice mixture.
- Chill in the fridge for 25 minutes (if watermelon is not fully covered then flip it over half way).
Cucumber & Red Onion Salsa:
- In a small bowl add diced red onion and cucumber.
- Pour enough red wine vinegar to cover half.
- Add a pinch of salt, mix, and let chill for 10 minutes (this is classified as a quick pickle).
- Drain after chilling.
Finish the Soup:
- In a blender, puree the tomato and half of the watermelon.
- Add 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar and 1 teaspoon olive oil blend to emulsify.
- Add onion, cucumber, salt and pepper to taste and puree.
- Serve in chilled bowls garnished with citrus marinated watermelon, red onion and cucumber salsa, and minced basil.
- Top with a dash of cayenne pepper.