Homemade Almond Milk
Almond milk can be expensive to buy, which is kind of crazy because plant milks are so easy to make yourself! They’re very versatile too. Feel free to adjust the ratios of almonds to water if you would like a more creamy milk. 1:4 is a pretty standard ratio, but we encourage you to try things out and figure out what you like best.If you’re planning to use the nut milk for baking or breakfasts like overnight oats, some people like to skip the straining part of this recipe. However, you may want to strain if you’re planning to drink the milk as is.Another great option with this recipe is to make almond milk ice cubes to use in all sorts of other recipes!
- 1 Cup Almonds (unsalted)
- 4 Cups Water
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 2 Medjool Dates Feel free to substitute the sweetener to your liking. Maple syrup and raw cane sugar are great options as well.
- Soak the almonds in water overnight (for at least 8 hours)
- Rinse the soaked almonds.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and process thoroughly until the mixture is smooth and frothy. This will typically take about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Place a nut milk bag or cheesecloth over a large bowl.
- Pour the unstrained blended almond mixture over the cloth.
- Allow for as much of the liquid to strain through as possible.
- Pick up the bag or cloth from the edges so that the purée does not spill and squeeze the bag to get as much liquid into the bowl as you can.
Store & Enjoy
- Refrigerate the almond milk in an airtight jar or bottle. This should keep well for around 4 days.
- Consider reducing waste and saving the pulp as well for use in smoothies, granola, or other experimental recipes!
Notes & Tips
Alternative ProductThere are also a few really great products out there specifically made to create rich and creamy DIY nut milks without the hassle of straining and pouring. If you are planning to make this part of your regular routine and don’t enjoy the creation process as some do, you could consider investing in a product that can make things more efficient.
Calories: 240.2kcalCarbohydrates: 16.7gProtein: 7.8gFat: 17.9gSaturated Fat: 1.4gPolyunsaturated Fat: 4.4gMonounsaturated Fat: 11.3gTrans Fat: 0.01gSodium: 22mgPotassium: 345.6mgFiber: 5.3gSugar: 9.5gVitamin A: 18.2IUCalcium: 110.9mgIron: 1.4mg