Homemade Cashew Milk
Cashew milk can be a wonderful creamy and rich plant milk to use in a variety of dishes, as a creamer, or on its own. And it doesn’t have to be expensive if you make it yourself!Adjust the ratios of cashews to water to your liking. 1:4 is a pretty standard ratio, but we encourage you to try things out and figure out what you like best.Some people like to skip the straining part of this recipe if the milk is intended to be used in baking, but that can alter the recipe outcome. You may want to strain if you’re planning to drink the milk as is.Another great option is to freeze the cashew milk into ice cubes for use in all sorts of other recipes!
- 1 Cup Cashews (unsalted)
- 4 Cups Water
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 2 tsp. Raw Cane Sugar Feel free to substitute the sweetener to your liking. Maple syrup and Medjool dates are great options as well.
- Soak the cashews in water overnight (for at least 8 hours)
- Rinse the soaked cashews.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and process thoroughly until the mixture is smooth and frothy. This will typically take about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Place a nut milk bag or cheesecloth over a large bowl.
- Pour the unstrained blended cashew mixture over the cloth.
- Allow for as much of the liquid to strain through as possible.
- Pick up the bag or cloth from the edges so that the purée does not spill and squeeze the bag to get as much liquid into the bowl as you can.
Store & Enjoy
- Refrigerate the cashew milk in an airtight jar or bottle. This should keep well for around 4 days.
- Consider reducing waste and saving the pulp as well for use in smoothies, granola, or other experimental recipes!
Notes & Tips
Alternative ProductThere are also a few really great products out there specifically made to create rich and creamy DIY nut milks without the hassle of straining and pouring. If you are planning to make this part of your regular routine and don’t enjoy the creation process as some do, you could consider investing in a product that can make things more efficient.
Calories: 188.2kcalCarbohydrates: 12.2gProtein: 5.9gFat: 14.1gSaturated Fat: 2.5gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2.5gMonounsaturated Fat: 7.7gSodium: 25.5mgPotassium: 213.6mgFiber: 1.1gSugar: 4.3gVitamin C: 0.2mgCalcium: 19.3mgIron: 2.2mg