Carrots are so versatile in that they can take on so many different flavors and be incorporated into many dishes. Raw, they can add an earthy bite; and cooked, they can be so sweet – but not many people think of them as smoky and served in a hotdog bun!These carrot dogs have a lot of strong flavors that they’re marinated in, that simply come together so wonderfully. You’ll just have to try it yourself.
- 8 large carrots (organic preferred and as consistent in width as you can find)
- 1 ¼ cup vegetable broth
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce (you can sub with tamari if desired)
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. mustard powder
- 1 tsp. pickled jalapeno juice
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. liquid smoke
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Peel carrots
- Trim the carrots to about 6 inches long so they’ll fit nicely in a bun. Try to trim them in a way to keep the thickness of the carrot as even as possible.
- Cover your peeled and trimmed carrots with water in a saucepan.
- Bring the carrots to a boil over medium to high heat and then reduce to low.
- Continue cooking on low heat for 9 minutes. You want the carrots to be tender but not mushy. You should be able to easily push a fork through the carrot without squishing it.
- Drain the water and put carrots in a baking dish to start marinating.
- Combine all remaining ingredients and pour over the carrots.
- Cover the dish and chill in the fridge for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight. Rotate the carrots or shake around the marinade occasionally throughout the chilling period.
- Drain the marinade when you’re ready to grill.
- On an outdoor grill or grill-grate frying pan, cook the carrots over medium-high heat and rotate until grill marks appear. This usually takes about 5 or 6 minutes.
- Serve the carrot hotdogs in a bun or eat them as-is, with all of your favorite toppings and condiments.
Serving: 1carrot dogCalories: 60kcalCarbohydrates: 12.2gProtein: 1.8gFat: 0.9gSaturated Fat: 0.1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.3gMonounsaturated Fat: 0.4gSodium: 252.8mgPotassium: 279.6mgFiber: 2.9gSugar: 6.8gVitamin A: 11101.9IUVitamin C: 3.9mgCalcium: 38.9mgIron: 0.9mg