These champagne cupcakes are a real crowd-pleaser for any occasion – we had them served at our wedding and people couldn’t get enough of them! If you’re celebrating love, the new year, a big accomplishment, or just life in general, these vegan cupcakes are the way to go.
You can use any vegan champagne for this recipe or substitute with any sweet sparkling wine!
Not All Champagne is Vegan
It is important to note that some champagne brands are not vegan-friendly. Occasionally, animal products are used for filtering to improve the clarity of the champagne or wine.
Common animal products used for clarification include egg whites, gelatin, and isinglass, which is a gel from the bladder of sturgeon or other fish.
Unfortunately, it can be very hard to tell if the champagne you’re buying is vegan. Here are a few trustworthy vegan champagne brands that we found from VeganLife.
- Lanson Black Label Brut (which we used for this recipe)
- Moët & Chandon
- Taittinger Brut Réserve
- Veuve Clicquot Brut Champagne
- Cattier Brut Champagne
Champagne Cupcake Recipe
Makes 12 Cupcakes
If you want to take an easier route, grab a box of cupcake mix. Just sub champagne for water and applesauce for egg!
Or make them from scratch (they’re tastier!):
- 1 1/3 Cups Flour
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 Cup Sweet Champagne (any brand will work)
- 2 Tbsp. Plain Applesauce
- 1/4 Cup Canola Oil
- 2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 2 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Vegan Butter
- 1/4 Cup Plant-based Shortening
- 3 Tbsp. Champagne
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Gold Sprinkles (for fanciness)
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Line a cupcake tray with liners (reduce waste with reusable liners)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Add in champagne, oil, lemon juice, and vanilla extract, stirring with a whisk until you have a batter.
- Pour batter evenly into your cupcake liners.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, until golden. Check with a toothpick and bake for an additional few minutes if needed.
- Set aside and allow cupcakes to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine powdered sugar, vegan butter, shortening, champagne, and vanilla extract.
- Whisk or use a hand mixer for approximately 2 minutes, until your desired consistency is reached.
- Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes and decorate with sprinkles.