Vegan Alfredo with Oat Milk
When you think alfredo, you think dairy, with dairy mixed in, with dairy sprinkled on top… well we have good news! That’s not the case here. Alfredo sauce can be made without cheese or milk, and despite what some say, it’s actually quite easy to make. Enjoy this plant-based, totally dairy-free alfredo sauce on your favorite pasta within a matter of minutes!
- 16 oz Pasta (1 box, your favorite kind)
- 2 1/2 Cups Oat Milk (Original, unsweetened)
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- 3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 3 Cloves Garlic (chopped)
- 2 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Sprig Fresh Thyme
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Chives (chopped)
- 1 Sprig Fresh Rosemary
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add in your favorite pasta with a little salt and oil.16 oz Pasta
- Cook until al dente. Be careful not to overcook, as you will get some additional cooking once the pasta is added to the sauce.
Vegan Alfredo Sauce
- In a small bowl, mix flour and olive oil so you get a thick paste. This is called a roux and it is great for thickening soups and sauces without any clumps. Set this aside for now, you’ll need it to thicken the cheeseless alfredo.1/4 Cup Flour, 3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- In a separate large saucepan, pour in your oat milk and heat it up over medium heat. Do not allow it to boil.2 1/2 Cups Oat Milk
- Slowly stir in your roux about a teaspoon at a time until the sauce starts to thicken. Keep in mind that you will likely not use all of the roux that you made. Be patient, as it takes some time to start thickening the alfredo and it will only get thicker as it cools as well.
- Next, add in all of your spices and seasonings:3 Cloves Garlic, 2 tsp. Sea Salt, 1 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper, 1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper, 1 Sprig Fresh Thyme, 1 Tbsp. Fresh Chives, 1 Sprig Fresh Rosemary
- Turn to low heat and continue to stir until noodles are done cooking.
Mix it up!
- Rinse noodles under cool water, then strain as much water as possible.
- Add pasta into the sauce and stir, folding until the pasta is coated.
- Mix in any additions you want like veggies or tofu and garnish.
Notes & Tips
Calories: 283kcalCarbohydrates: 30gProtein: 5gFat: 17gSaturated Fat: 2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 11gSodium: 1370mgPotassium: 220mgFiber: 4gSugar: 16gVitamin A: 1347IUVitamin C: 5mgCalcium: 313mgIron: 2mg