Homemade Peanut Milk
One of the less common nut-based milks, peanut milk is a great cost effective option for a plant milk that can add a unique flare to some dishes.Feel free to adjust the ratio of peanuts to water to adjust the outcome of your nut milk. 1:4 is a standard ratio, but please play around with the recipe and find what works best for you.If you’re planning to use the nut milk for baking or breakfasts like overnight oats, some people like to skip the straining part of this recipe. However, peanut milk can have a stronger nutty flavor that may not work as well with the pulp in some dishes. You may want to strain if you’re planning to drink the milk as is.You can also freeze the peanut milk into ice cubes for later easy use!
- 1 Cup Peanuts (unsalted)
- 4 Cups Water
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 2 tsp. Raw Cane Sugar Feel free to substitute the sweetener to your liking. Maple syrup and Medjool dates are great options as well.
- Soak the peanuts in water overnight (for at least 8 hours)
- Rinse the soaked peanuts.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and process thoroughly until the mixture is smooth and frothy. This will typically take about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Place a nut milk bag or cheesecloth over a large bowl.
- Pour the unstrained blended peanut mixture over the cloth.
- Allow for as much of the liquid to strain through as possible.
- Pick up the bag or cloth from the edges so that the purée does not spill and squeeze the bag to get as much liquid into the bowl as you can.
Store & Enjoy
- Refrigerate the peanut milk in an airtight jar or bottle. This should keep well for around 4 days.
- Consider reducing waste and saving the pulp as well for use in smoothies, granola, or other experimental recipes!
Notes & Tips
Alternative ProductThere are also a few really great products out there specifically made to create rich and creamy DIY nut milks without the hassle of straining and pouring. If you are planning to make this part of your regular routine and don’t enjoy the creation process as some do, you could consider investing in a product that can make things more efficient.
Calories: 217.9kcalCarbohydrates: 8.2gProtein: 9.5gFat: 18.1gSaturated Fat: 2.8gPolyunsaturated Fat: 6.3gMonounsaturated Fat: 8.2gSodium: 29.6mgPotassium: 272.3mgFiber: 3.5gSugar: 2.4gCalcium: 46.1mgIron: 1.4mg